Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Graco 2900,3900 HVLP(Pat raises his hand with a question)

On May 24, 3:16*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On May 24, 10:10 am, Pat Barber wrote:
I assume Robert(NailShooter) will see this.

As a normal Sunday visit to Lowes for all my stand misc. crap,
I got to see a cute little turbine HVLP sprayer made by Graco
being shown doing all the normal magic a HVLP can do.

The guy said he was shooting latex(thinned) and I have to say,
it looked pretty slick for the money.

This is very low end machine with most major parts plastic, but
does show some promise.

I'm curious if any of the crowd has jumped on this:

http://www.spray-station.com/

I know, I know, wrong Robert...BUT!

It is another typical piece of badge engineering. (Swingman knows what
it I of which I speaketh...Morris/MG/Austin etc. Same ****, different
tag.) Graco is a very credible company, (Like Ridgid used to be) but
this is NOT a Graco piece of gear. More like Wagner or somesuch.
Airless is the way to fly, no doubt, but do it right and do not be
lured by a brand name which has obviously been whored at some
corporate level.
A decent 3000psig pump, like Titan, will cost you 500 (or
thereabouts). Anything less than that, is a bad toy.
MY opinion. Others may disagree.

I'll disagree.

I have a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP - no name - but I've used it for
over 10 years now. *I've painted three airplanes (Stits vinyl process and
lacquer), a bunch of furniture, etc, and am now using it to varnish the
interior wood parts of my sailboat.

It cost me $89 then, and is at HF today - for $89.

You can spend a lot more if you want, of course.
But will it make any difference in the quality of your work?

Richard

Interesting point, Richard. If you maintain the equipment with a
proper cleaning schedule a low cost device will last a long time.
At some point you may not be able to find parts for the cheapies. I
had a Campbell Hausfeld 3/4 HP airless. Great machine till it **** the
bed. No parts at reasonable prices. A complete turn off.
I then bought a Titan and there are all kinds of part at reasonable
cost. It is a piston device as opposed to a reed style wobbler.
The PSI is much more stable, less pulsing, and easy to clean.
You get something for the extra investment.