Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default stuck in park

On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:02:20 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep
hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he
wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

If this is a van built in the last decade or so, check the brake light
fuse
and the lights themselves. If they don't light when you depress the
brakes,
that's your problem.

I found this out the hard way.g I can't give you specifics, but that
is a
VERY common problem with recent vehicles stuck in park.

Some stupid lockout circuit, that won't let you shift to park unless the
brakes are on?

Argh.

BTSI - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock, one of the "nanny" devices
that arose from idiots starting vehicles in gear and crashing into
stuff. All that I have seen have had an override mechanism, usually
under a little pop off cover next to the shift lever. You pop the cover
off and then push a lever under it to release the interlock in the event
of an electrical or solenoid failure. The procedure is documented in the
owner's manual that nobody reads.

That's how I got my Focus moving. Yes, it's documented in my owner's manual,
but I only found out about it after calling my local Ford service
department.

Now I carry a tiny screwdriver in the glove box to pop the cover open. I
wrecked one cover with my pocket knife, but it only happened once.

That's ridiculous, but great to know, for all those other vehicles.

I by pass the clutch switch as soon as the vehicle is mine cause who
wants to depress the clutch just to start it. Same thing with the
stereo, don't need a stinking key and ping ping ping with the music.

I despise automatics and can't pass up a cool brand new looking
Porsche without seeing if it has a stick shift and I haven't seen one
yet ! Are you to just brake into every situation?

A friend got one of those newer caddies, best hope those things are in
a good mood when you need to go somewhere. That or just stop somewhere
and have it refuse to continue on cause there's no windshield washer
to protect the rubber blades, and you slammed the door for the last
time. Or better yet, lip off to the police and confirm that you have
driven down the main drag within the last hour in Allen Town PA. where
it is illegal.

Not to mention that all conversations are recorded and if driving
across a state line is admissible in court. Bet that comes really
convenient with all those tiny states around you.

SW