Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Way, WAY OT - insect repellent solvent

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:04:17 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a couple of 1 oz bottles of 100% DEET, which I'm not going to
use. But I thought I could just dilute it to 30% and have 6 or so oz to
use in a spray bottle.

I looked up the MSDS for the 30% variety & found the solvent to be
ethanol. I went on & looked up the MSDS for ethanol & found that it is
a skin irritant! WTF - a solvent for repellent that is a skin
irritant!? Well, that's crazy, but it's never bothered me, so what the
hell.

Now, as far as the ethanol to use: is it even available? I'm assuming
that denatured is out because of the methanol in it. How about
isopropyl? Is it such a different animal that it wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Bob

Has the same solvent as do most aftershaves and stink waters.

Id not worry too much about it.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate