Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default OT engine compartment hood latch inoperable, how to open hood?

"William Wixon" wrote:

there have been a couple auto related (repair) posts recently, thought i'd
try mine.
a friend is telling me the handle inside her vehicle that actuates the
(engine compartment) hood-latch-release dangles free and doesn't pop the
hood. i'm thinking i'd like to try to help her. any tips/tricks on how to
open a hood who's latch is broken? i'm hoping there's some kind of trick
besides "a large pry bar" or "plasma cutter", etc.
i haven't looked at it in person yet, thought i'd ask here first so maybe
with your advice i can look like i know what i'm doing when she brings it
over. (i've been courting her for the past 9 months, help!)

b.w.

Determine if it is broke at the handle inside of the car or outside at the latch. The
approach changes depending. I hope it is broke inside the car.

Do you know someone with the same model of automobile? If so, a view under the hood if
you have to attack it there is going to be priceless.

There is a chance it isn't broken but a bit rusty. She pulled the release, it didn't
actually open the latch but the cable didn't retract giving you the loose handle. For
that, I'd have her wiggle the handle as you apply pressure downward to the hood latch. You
might get lucky. Mom's GMC has that issue if I don't spray white lithium on things
periodically.

Good Conservative girl I hope?

Wes