Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Way, WAY OT - insect repellent solvent

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I have a couple of 1 oz bottles of 100% DEET, which I'm not going to use.
But I thought I could just dilute it to 30% and have 6 or so oz to use in a
spray bottle.

I looked up the MSDS for the 30% variety & found the solvent to be
ethanol. I went on & looked up the MSDS for ethanol & found that it is a
skin irritant! WTF - a solvent for repellent that is a skin irritant!?
Well, that's crazy, but it's never bothered me, so what the hell.

Now, as far as the ethanol to use: is it even available? I'm assuming
that denatured is out because of the methanol in it. How about isopropyl?
Is it such a different animal that it wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Bob

Everclear 190 Proof (95% drinkable ethanol, 5% water) is available in some
states. I've bought it in NJ. Here's a list of states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

--
Ed Huntress