Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Bandsaw Revisited

On May 16, 8:56*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 16, 1:17*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

"Searcher7" wrote in message

why is it you can't make the parts you need? I posted a few days ago
about
making trunions and the *upper wheel support for what looks a lot like
that
saw - if I can do it why can't you?

Because I don't yet have my mill/drill working, and I'd need the exact
dimensions of all the parts need anyway. I've not found any sites that
show how this is done.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

you do need scissors and cardboard, and a pencil - you make the patterns,
then trace them onto metal, then cut with a hack saw - you don't need any
power tools at all. *I did use an arc welder, and since I had power tools, I
used some, but everything you want can be made with a hacksaw, a few files
and your drill press.

Second that.

The only critical tool is enough imagination to visualize how the
parts should fit together. I rarely need the lathe or mill to build a
machine's framework, a 4x6bandsawand a stick welder are enough. The
necessary drawings and dimensions fit on a 3x5 Post-it.

jsw

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.

I'm about to dive in and pick up some trunnions from a seller on eBay.
And he is also offering guides that have *three* bearings for $70.00.
He said they should fit the my bandsaw but I thought three bearing
guides were only for metal cutting bandsaws. Is this correct?

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ools/?start=20

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.