Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Speaker - terminal connected to the AC line?

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Hi!

There's no need to kill it.

I'd prefer not to kill the poor thing if I can help it.

The trick is to find out where it got in, because this is the second
one. (The first either came out or died in a different wall. I think
it got out, as I never smelled anything bad.)

infecting them with incurable rabies that will cause them to
die in unspeakable agony.

It's just a grin-a-minute around here, isn't it?

William

Best not kill it. I've just - 10 minutes ago - finished reading an article
in my Sunday newspaper, about a mystery disease that is sweeping through the
bat population of North America, and decimating whole colonies. They think
that it might not be a disease as such, but a fungal infection which leaves
a white deposit on the noses of the bats. Apparently, bats are responsible
for consuming millions of tons of insects which do harm, and if the bat
situation becomes serious enough in terms of loss of numbers, it could have
a devastating effect on the balance of the ecosystem.

Back to the resistor question. Such resistors, mostly with no immediately
discernable purpose, are often to be found strung around the insides of
amplifiers and hifis. You sometimes find things like a metal bracket that
for whatever reason, the manufacturers didn't want hard grounded, connected
to hard ground via such a resistor. Could it be something like this, and the
connection point on the speaker connector board, was just a physically
convenient point to hook it to ?

As to finding it on the schematic, it might well not be shown where you
expect it to be. I have seen these resistors shown as a completely isolated
entity, within dotted lines, hidden up a corner of the diagram somewhere.
You might find it shown on the layout diagrams, or the internal wiring
diagram or block diagram though.

Arfa