Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default PING Don Foreman

On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:34:21 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2010 07:15:41 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:
against, I just haven't gotten around to making a shielding garment --
as perhaps a vest with Litz wire sewn into it.

How about a fencing scoring lame' (Metalized vest for foil/jacket for
saber) and ground it? Wear it under your leathers.

Just a thought

Excellent lead!

Fencing scoring lame is quite expensive, but investigating that lead
me to
http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html
where I found quite a few possibilities at very reasonable cost.

Thanks!

These guys even have ready-made EMI garments! Scroll down to the tee
shirt at
http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html

The primary concern with stick and MIG welding is magnetic field,
which this would not be effective against. It will provide good
protection against the HF E-fields of TIG using spark-start.

Shielding against low-frequency (50-60Hz) and DC magnetic fields is
not practical short of a fairly heavy mu-metal breastplate. Mu metal
is very expensive, and if shaped or worked it must then be
hydrogen-annealed to restore its magnetic properties.
The best way to deal with magnetic fields is to minimize the fields in
the first place. With care, welding currents of up to 200 amps are
possible.

I would say that spot welding is not possible for a person with an
ICD. I wouldn't get within 20 feet of a spot welder.