Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Floorboard design ponderings

On 22/05/10 16:06, John Rumm wrote:

The reality is different in a number of ways - firstly one board will
span a number of joists, and hence will not only be resisting your
weight in downward bending between the supporting joists, but also in
cantilever bending between the adjacent ones either side. Secondly the
board will be nailed or screwed down, which will enable it to resist
additional movement with tension as well.

I cut my free sample of 2.7m into two yesterday, knocked of the edge
corners with a plane and screwed then down. They do seem to behave as
you say - quite firm.

I think we have a winner - looks perfectly OK bare. SWMBO agrees (good)
- so the only question now is which colour of Treatex to use (if any
colour) ;-

Anyway, I think I will lay each length as a pair or boards, in about a
1/3 room width to 2/3 width ratio, alternating. That should give a good
randomise it a bit for interest.

Cheers!

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.