Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default kill a watt ez

On May 23, 2:38*pm, cj wrote:
i posted a few days ago regarding my fridaire refrigerator seemed to be
running all the time and one of the replies i got suggested buying a
kill a watt meter so i got one today and the instructions for
calculating costs wants me to input my kilowatt charges so after looking
at my latest electric bill i have 3 different charges...power supply
energy 457 kwh @0.06726, distribution 457 kwh @0.04195 and energy
optimization 457 kwh @0.01081. i am not sure which of these numbers to
input into my kill a watt meter...any suggestions?
thanks, cj

You dont need to know what you pay to use a kill a watt meter, it
stores Watts used over time for at least 100 hours on my old unit, you
then find the Gov energy rating to see if you are near in total Kwh
used. I bought a sears 19,5 cu ft fring years ago because it had the
lowest printed consumption I could find, my testing with a Kill a watt
meter showed my usage a bit higher but still it cost me only about
$4.50- 4.70 a month from the KAW meter vs $4.30 with the Energy Guide
ticket, that I adjusted to my KWH cost. www.energystar.gov has all
friges listed by KWH consumed. If your frige is way over in
consumption of the rating somethiong is probably wrong, unless
everyone keeps the doors open looking for food. The gov rating can be
nearly achieved, but you need minimal door opening, a 70 degree room,
and not settings on coldest to get that consumption rating. What you
KWH cost is is not what they say, it is what you PAY divided by KWH,
that will give you how many cents a Killowatt hour costs.