Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default kill a watt ez

On May 24, 6:33*am, wrote:
On May 23, 5:17*pm, wrote:

On 2010-05-23, wrote:

cant just give it to you straight. *

The "straight" cost is always given, as in "$.14 KW/hr" or something
like that. *The other charges are the fed/state/PUC screw job.

nb

Then that's NOT the straight cost. *I dont care if it's taxes or any
other added ****. *You're paying for it. *It's part of the total. *You
might be paying 14 cents / KWH, but if the other crap adds another 5
cents, your paying 19 cents / KWH. *ALL utility companies are CROOKS.
They know we must have their services, so they know they can get away
with it. *Same for gasoline.

And it's not just taxes or a fed/state screw job. * Just like the OP,
my bill has a seperation of the cost of the energy itself from the
distribution. * At least here in NJ, the PUC has decreed they be
seperate. * I could choose to buy my electricity from several
suppliers and still have the same local electric company deliver it.
Both components are substantial. *The first pays for the generation of
the electricity and the other for the wires, poles, transformers,
meters, servicing, etc that delivers it.

Still, it's easy to figure out. *In the case of the OP I would add all
3 charges and use that for the killawatt meter. * I would not just
divide the total bill or add any monthly base fee, ie the $25 or
whatever that you pay in some cases no matter how much you use. *You
want the incremental cost attributed to the refrigerator.

My local electric co has spent close to $20 million in the past 2
years, building new office buildings. *Now the old buildings sit
vacant, and there was nothing wrong with those buildings that a coat
of paint could not fix. *On top of that, they bitch and moan that we
are supposed to conserve energy. *Well, if you drive past their office
at night the whole buillding is lit up, as well as the parking lot and
the whole exterior of the building has flood lights on it, so we can
all "admire" their waste of money. *And I should note that there is
not even one car in their parking lot. *No one is there. *

I called them on this matter, and was told it's for security. *I told
them flat out "BULL****". *Put a security camera by the entrances and
a sensor light. *Or hire a guard, which would likely cost much less
than the amount of power they are wasting, plus give someone a job.

If I can ever afford it, I'm going to setup solar panels and wind
generators, and tell the elec co to shove it.- Hide quoted text -

To find actual kwh cost it is what is owed divided by what is used in
kwh, right.