Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:53:03 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote the following:

On 5/23/10 3:03 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

Dragging an air hose beats swinging a hammer, though.

True.

Who swings a hammer? :-)
A gas framing nailer is faster, lighter, and more convenient than any of
those.

Yeah, but there go your costs again, with collated nails and fuel,
plus the not cheap cost of the nailer.

FWIW, last deck I did, I was much faster laying down the decking with my
22 oz Estwing and galvanized spirals than with a drill and screws.

Sure it is, and it's cheaper that way. But nails pull out during
freeze/thaw cycles, creak, and develop nasty hammer dents in the wood
as you seat them over and over and over and over...

I can definitely see where I could be faster with one of those screw
self-feeders with the long extension and the depth stop driver. But I'm
one of those "one tap to set, 2-3 swings to drive it home" hammer guys,
so I can get a pretty fast rhythm going.

2-3? Ya wuss. Yer 'posa set and home with _1_ stroke each.
(No, I can't do that, but I use screws almost universally. I bought a
framing gun 4 years ago and have used it once, but it's time for that
spare shop soon, methinks.)

--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal