Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What are these plumbing things called?

wrote:

Regarding the overall situation and who is to blame, there is
certainly plenty to spread around. While you can't predict every
possible failure mechanism, one would think you would have a plan to
effectively deal with the aftermath that works. BP did file such a
plan, claiming it was capable of cleaning up, containing, and dealing
with a leak that was huge, with most saying it was many times larger
than this actual one. Obviously, the plan didn't work. It will be
interesting to see exactly how much capability they really did have in
place prior to the accident.

Not necessarily.

After 9-11, the FAA and other government agencies said "We need a plan in
case another hijacking like this occurs."

After due deliberation by all the stake holders, you won't believe what they
came up with.

They concluded that the best plan was no plan at all, that the experts on
the scene and in control could devise an ad hoc response far better than any
pre-programmed response.

You may remember the movie about the attack. At some point, after at least
two buildings were hit, the head of the FAA asked: "How many aircraft aloft
over CONUS?"

"About forty-eight hundred," came the response.

"Okay. This **** stops right now. I want ATC-Zero nationwide."

"That's never been done! You can't do that!"

"I just did. Make it happen. Everything in the air is to land at the nearest
airport."