Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default kill a watt ez

wrote:

I called them on this matter, and was told it's for security. I told
them flat out "BULL****". Put a security camera by the entrances and
a sensor light. Or hire a guard, which would likely cost much less
than the amount of power they are wasting, plus give someone a job.

They don't pay for the power.

And even if they did, the cost to generate the power is negligible compared
to the cost to distribute, maintain, and account for the power.

We've got an aluminum plant nearby that uses enough power to serve 10,000
homes. But it only takes one wire (well, three) to get it there. Contrast
that with 7,000 poles, 5,000 transformers, 10,000 meters (and the reading of
them), 10,000 bills sent each month, etc.