Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default kill a watt ez

cj wrote:
i posted a few days ago regarding my fridaire refrigerator seemed to be
running all the time and one of the replies i got suggested buying a
kill a watt meter so i got one today and the instructions for
calculating costs wants me to input my kilowatt charges so after looking
at my latest electric bill i have 3 different charges...power supply
energy 457 kwh @0.06726, distribution 457 kwh @0.04195 and energy
optimization 457 kwh @0.01081. i am not sure which of these numbers to
input into my kill a watt meter...any suggestions?
thanks, cj

You want the total cost.
They split it out so they can jack up the rates in a way you won't notice.

If your fridge is running all the time, you already have all the info
you need. You need to fix it.
The kill a watt won't tell you any more than that you need to fix it.

Fridge designs vary considerably.

First thing to do is check that it's defrosted. You can usually see the
coils in the freezer thru a grille somewhere. The motor that runs the
defrost
timer can freeze up (pun intended) so the defrost cycle never runs.
The evaporator coil gets covered with ice and the efficiency heads for
zero. If that's the case, you need to defrost it manually. Even if you
fix the timer, the defrost cycle wasn't intended to melt a solid block
of ice.

I've had chunks of ice get caught in the inside circulation fan and
stop it from turning.

Vacuum the dust off the exterior condenser coils.