Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Snowbirding

Questor wrote:
Upon returning after 6 mo. the only major problem was the water heater
pilot was out. I left it in the pilot position when we left. My
neighbor pointed out it has a vacation position. Is it better to use
vacation position, leave it in pilot position or turn it completely off?

You didn't know your pilot was out until you got back?

When I go on vacation, I shut off the pilot and disconnect the gas. I
have to wait for the water to heat up when I stop for a shower, but I
think it's safer to disconnect the gas before putting the water heater
in the car.