Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Snowbirding

On May 23, 12:38�pm, "Questor" wrote:
Upon returning after 6 mo. the only major problem was �the water heater
pilot was out. �I left it in the pilot position when we left. �My neighbor
pointed out it has a vacation position. Is it better to use vacation
position, leave it in pilot position or turn it completely off?

Learned our lesson with the water softener last year, left it on vacation,
it lost it's setting with a power failure and reverted to the default
cycling three times a week on power up. �Unplugged it this time and
reprogrammed it on return.

If I could just get the wife to go with plastic plants we could turn the
water off and not have the neighbor watering them.

Wish I could talk he into cleaning out and shutting off the fridge also.

There was a temperature sensor out there that calls a phone when the temp..
goes down. �Anyone use one of these?

The pilot flame impinges on a thermocouple which keeps open an
electric valve. After prolonged use, the thermocouple burns out & the
valve closes. Or, the pilot light is blown out by wind etc & the valve
also closes.

The purpose of the pilot light is to ignite the main gas burner as
required.
The purpose of the thermocouple is to shut the gas valve if the pilot
light goes out for any reason.
This ensures the house does not fill up with gas & become an explosion
hazard.
The thermocouple is a small rod that is in the pilot light, often
glows red hot.

If you cannot relight the pilot light, the thermocouple has burned out
&will need replacing.
If you can relight the pilot light, the thermocouple has done it's job
&cut off the gas after the pilot light has gone out.

Except in the case of very cold weather & frost damage potential,
it''s best to isolate all services if away on vacation.
Water, gas, electricity.