Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony tube tv going bad?

This has not been a good week. Last week something killed
my (14yo) gas range. While baking dinner it made a loud
snap/crack sound like a light bulb exploded and stopped
working. Clocks dead, ignitors for the stovetop and oven
won't work. Looks like I'll have to replace it.

I expect a range -- gas or electric -- to last at least 20 years, maybe 30.
This sounds like a power-supply problem that ought to be fixable -- though
whether it will be at a "reasonable" price, I don't know.

So, what do you think? Tuner crapping out or the picture tube
going? I thought the Sony Trinitron sets were long-lived and
pretty much trouble free...

It /can't/ be the tuner, because the line-level inputs also have a problem.
My guess is the chroma chip, or some nearby component.

Sonys do seem to be reliable. My KV-1920 lasted more than 20 years (needing
only a $70 power-supply repair), and my current 400-series 36" flat-face is
almost 10 years old, with no problems.