Posted to uk.d-i-y
Falco Falco is offline

Default Shave/plane glass?

Steve Firth wrote:
"Falco" wrote:

Perhaps you could do so? I have several pieces of laminated glass
which are toughened. i.e. the laminate is a sheet of toughened
glass, the polymer then a sheet of non-toughened glass.

Not so - I have worked with glass for years and never seen such a
hybrid.

Then you've never owned a car because most cars nowadays have inner
toughened glass, exterior plain glass for the windscreen. I suspect
some are going to toughened glass both sides to reduce pedestrian
lacerations. It's well-proven technology. It's also used extensively
in safety laminated glass for domestic use (link provided elsewhere).

Driven and played with cars for more years than I can remember, and even
seen the 'horse collar' and facial laceration injuries caused by the *early*
laminated and toughened glass - but I have *NEVER* seen a combination of
both - what's the purpose of that then?

Surely toughened glass is designed to shatter and safely fall away when
broken - and laminated glass when brokenn is designed to break and stay in
one piece to prevent injuries such as 'horse collar' - and a such a hybrid
to my thoughts at the moment is

Please supply your link to this - as I consider your information to be
incorrect.

One assumes from your cockwitted comment that you're another glazier
with pretensions of competence.

Certainly not a glazier, but I have worked with glass over many years as
part of my job - as for "cockwitted", then there seems to be a touch of
"saucepan calling the kettle black" - especially from the "incompetence" of
many of your replies in the various groups you post in.

BTW, if you're going to google for a link, try looking at Tufflam - but this
is a structural glass (used in flooring etc) with the properties that you
describe and not generally used in domestic or motoring situations.

Now don't forget to post your link

Falco