Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Shave/plane glass?

In message , Steve Firth
writes
rpgs rock dvds wrote:

The existing double glazing looks cheap and nasty. My "bodge job"
approach to this problem was to buy 3 sheets of thick lamenated glass,
and simply wedge them inside the inner window area, so that they sit
on top of the window sill, a little bit like secondary glazing.
Luckily, there's a kind of perimeter ridge area within this inner
window area, where I can lean the sheets of glass against. But
because the glass sheets are fractionally too tall, there's not enough
room for me to wedge them between the window sill at the bottom, and
the top part of the inner window area.

light comes on

So you don't want to reduce the thickness of the glass by 1mm, you
simply want to cut the glass so that it fits inside the opening?

" I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of the sides. Is this
possible?"

That's what he said in his original post ...

Any glazier should be able to do that for you.

Although you're going about things in a weird way IMO. Normally one
makes a frame to fit inside the window reveal and has the glass cut to
fit the frame. the reason for this being that it makes it easier to open
the window if necessary and that the frame can easily be adjusted to
take up any uneveness in the wall.

Or am I misunderstanding you again?

--
geoff