Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Shave/plane glass?

"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in message
On 23 May, 13:55, (Steve Firth) wrote:
I'm really surprised that it's not easier to adjust the frame. What is
stopping you?

OK here's the situation. I've moved in to a flat, and just outside
the flat is some kind of contraption that makes a lot of noise. I
think it may be a generator for air conditioning. There's a shop
downstairs, and I think it's theirs. I can't make any alterations to
the flat in any way, because I'm just renting, and I'll be gone in
about 5 months time, so I want a quick and easy "solution".

The existing double glazing looks cheap and nasty. My "bodge job"
approach to this problem was to buy 3 sheets of thick lamenated glass,
and simply wedge them inside the inner window area, so that they sit
on top of the window sill, a little bit like secondary glazing.
Luckily, there's a kind of perimeter ridge area within this inner
window area, where I can lean the sheets of glass against. But
because the glass sheets are fractionally too tall, there's not enough
room for me to wedge them between the window sill at the bottom, and
the top part of the inner window area.

If I can't economically get 1mm shaved off the sheets, I could try a
different approach. But plan B is even more mad than the above plan
A. I could get a wood plane, and shave off about 1mm of the front
window sill area! That would allow me to get the 3 sheets of glass
wedged in and propped up inside the inner window area. However, this
will cause one significant problem: after planing the front part of
the window sill wood (the area which is furthest away from the
existing double glazing), the entire window sill wood area will get 2
height levels. One level will be lower (at the front where I want to
prop up the glass), and one level will be 1mm higher (at the back,
near where the existing glazing is.) So, you'll see a "ridge" where
these 2 levels meet. Could I sand that ridge down, to kind of merge
the 2 levels, so it won't be noticeable? Of course, I'll need to
repaint the window sill where I have used the wood plane. The flat is
a bit of a dump, and I doubt whether the owner cares about this... I
suppose the worst that could happen is I'll either get a deduction on
my flat rental deposit, or I'll get sectioned for being a loon.

I'd shave the sills and then fill the gap with polyfiller just before you
move out and paint over it. No one will ever know.
--
Dave Baker