Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote
Ah, I thought the water pipe was considered a "sink". It'll certainly
sink
electrons, like one. ;-)

I think that the primary concern with sinks, is small appliances falling
into them. Not likely your washer is going to fall in. In kitchens, the
original GFCI requirement was within six feet of the sink, the code also
restricted the length of kitchen appliance cords, so the idea was that an
appliance with a short cord couldn't reach the sink except if plugged
into a GFCI outlet. As far as the washer is concerned, if the outlet is
properly grounded and the washer has a grounding cord on it, you're safe.

Seems as though one local inspector I'm aware of will still want a GFCI
since it is water and an electric appliance. If you are pulling a
permit it would be smart to ask in advance.

And depending upon the location of the washer you're making reference to, it
may very well require a GFCI protected outlet by NEC rules as well