Posted to uk.d-i-y
Falco Falco is offline

Default Shave/plane glass?

Steve Firth wrote:
rpgs rock dvds wrote:

It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Pilkington can do it. I doubt that you could at home.

Yes it can be done at home and without the help of Pilks.

If you could,
you'd be the sort of person who makes his own telescope lenses and
mirrors and you'd know what to do.

A totally inane statement from someone who has no knowledge of the subject.

As others have said, if it's
toughened glass, which is probably is, then all bets are off.

You are also unable to accurately read a post, the glass was stated as
*LAMINATED* , which is an entirely different method of manufacture [1] - and
as a result, "all bets" are *ON* - simply grind it using a diamond or
carborundum stone (powered or manual). Just ensure that the glass is lying
on a flat surface and take care and time in doing it.

[1] Very simply put (and you can google it to get detailed information):

TOUGHENED glass is heat-treated to set up internal stresses - and
*cannot* be worked after.

LAMINATED glass has a plastic interleave between two pieces of
glass - and *can* be worked after.

Good day to you.

Falco