Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Today's Lead Free Crap Solder Stories ...

On 5/22/2010 7:44 PM hr(bob) spake thus:

On May 22, 8:05 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yeah, su "they"--you know, the little elves that watch over us
all--say they make sure to seal the landfill, cap it with impervious
material, keep anything from leaching out. Do you believe them? I sure
don't.

I think this is just an irresponsible attitude on your part and on
others here. I *totally* agree with your other complaints about
lead-free solder: it's clearly a pain in the ass. But to listen to you
and others here go on about it, you'd think these rules were simply
capricious actions of some pinheaded Eurocrats who don't know what the
hell they're talking about. I think you're wrong about that.

And I don't want to live in an environment full of lead, thank you very
much.

But does the lead in the glass of crt's leach out, I don't think so.

In my 'hood, most of the TVs and monitors that get put out on the street
end up broken. CRT smashed to pieces. The city eventually comes along
and picks them up and takes them to the dump. It's a lot easier for lead
to leach out of broken pieces of glass.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)