Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT OT - new political idea

On Fri, 14 May 2010 02:03:05 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Aren't there enough metalworking topics that you could coment on?

Ever wonder why that is?

--
WB

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

babble, fantasy, superstition

Anything interesting going on in metalworking here?

I always thought it would be awesome to design products and contract the
work out through the group, give the hobbyists a chance to have their
equipment pay for itself.

RogerN

I tried that a few times and the quotes I got for cash and time were out of
whack, even on simple parts. I got three quotes for a 1/2" x 6" O-1 drill
rod with both ends faced and a 17/64" hole drilled through the length. This
is a consumable part that holds a steel disk in a machine that makes
knot-type wheel brushes. Sometimes they last for months, sometimes we bend
four a day. The lowest quote I got from hobbyists was $25 each, with me
supplying the material cut to length. I can make one of these in 12
minutes. I only WISH I could get $125.00 per hour of lathe work. But, I
confess...I've made many hundreds of these and have a 10 hp lathe.

How many do you need per year?

I do have a CNC lathe....shrug

Gunner

--