Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wiremold for outdoor use?

Walter E. wrote:
I need to extend an 110V outdoor outlet box for 10 feet horizontally and
8 feet vertically along the outside of my house. This is for security
lighting. The outside of the house is stucco. The inside is 16" studs
and wallboard.

Can I use wiremold or do I need to use conduit, which would be
unsightly. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Walter
www.rationality.net

In security 101 class, they tell you to not put security lighting ON the
building, since it creates a dark spot underneath for people to hide.
Security lighting should be away from the building, pointing AT it. I'd
bury the wire in the sod, using suitable burial-rated cable or conduit,
and put it on a decorative pole. Add arms for flower pots or bird
feeders or whatever to make the pole look less menacing. You didn't
mention running a switch leg, so I take it this light will be on a
sensor and always hot?

--
aem sends...