Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:14:00 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:12:53 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"keith" wrote in message
On May 21, 3:33 pm, terry wrote:
On May 21, 3:25 pm, "Beta-42" wrote:

JayTKR wrote:
Oops, just to clarify "Jay-T" and "Beta-42" are both me, just
different identities set up on two different Usenet newsservers.

Oops, sorry again. I seem to be suffering from multiple computer
multiple
personality disorder. It started when the news.eternal-september.org
new
server was down for a while and I was using my backup news servers are
set
up with different identities.

Washers contain an AC motor; any possibility of the GFI outlet
'tripping'. (Due to momentary unbalance currents).
Thinking of the same reason that GFIs not recommended for fridges etc.
that also contain motor!

They (both GFCIs and 'fridges) are *supposed* to be better about
nuisance tripping. In any case, if the washing machine nuisance trips
it's not as much of a danger as if it doesn't when needed. Whatever
you think about 'fridges and GFCIs, washers should *always* have
them. Water, ya know.

There is actually no NEC requirement for "washers" to have GFCI
protection.
GFCI protection is governed by the location of the outlet, and or
appliance
manufacturer requirements

I thought any outlet near (within 6'?) service had to be GFCI protected.

Any outlet within 6 feet of a sink needs to be GFCI protected. You don't
necessarily have a sink within 6 feet of a washer

Ah, I thought the water pipe was considered a "sink". It'll certainly sink
electrons, like one. ;-)