Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Sony tube tv going bad?

On Sat, 22 May 2010 17:35:32 +0000, Phil wrote:

Hello:

This has not been a good week. Last week something killed my (14yo) gas
range. While baking dinner it made a loud snap/crack sound like a light
bulb exploded and stopped working. Clocks dead, ignitors for the
stovetop and oven won't work. Looks like I'll have to replace it.

Now last night our Sony 30" tube tv (aprox 7-9yo) started to act up. We
were watching a dvd when the picture went to black, but the sound was
ok. I immediately thought it was a defective DVD but that's not the
case. I turned off the dvd player and tried to watch some tv but had
picture problems. As I flipped channels the picture would be ok for half
a second then go to half brightness, freaky colors and distorted image,
then pitch black. The aux inputs Video 1, Video 2, etc. also were
effected. Turning the tv off for a minute and then back on fixed it for
a while then it happened again. The tv seems to be working ok so far
today. So, what do you think? Tuner crapping out or the picture tube
going? I thought the Sony Trinitron sets were long lived and pretty much
trouble free...

Thanks, Phil

Sorry to read about your loss.