Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What are these plumbing things called?

On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:44:47 -0500, "basilisk"
wrote:

Anyhow, what are these plugs called? As soon as I know, I'm going to
find who manufactures them, and see if they can make something to
help. Relying on BP is about the same thing as a doctor putting a
bandage on the finger of someone who just had a heart attack. Since
BP has proven they are completely illiterate, the time has come for
all of us to find a solution. If we keep relying on the idiots from
BP, pretty soon we'll all be affected.

I think the real problem is overcoming the 760,000 pounds of
force to insert the plug.

22 inch pipe at 2000 estimated psi.

basilisk

I agree with your answer but not your multiplication. Assuming your
numbers are right, 2000 x 22 x pi = 138,000 pounds.

Still too much, I'm sure. Compare how easy it is to close off part of
a garden hose with your thumb versus the whole thing. OTOH, the OP's
point is that his plug is smaller than the hole when put in, and would
be likea thumb closing off part of hose. I guess the high pressure is
still the problem

Not that I have a better suggestion but I don't like relying on BP to
do this. They seem to have put all their energy into avoiding a leak
and little into what to do about it if one occured.

And the OP is right, the current pipe is only about 6 inches in a 22
inch pipe, but i think it was actually 4 inches.