Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default Speaking of reloading stuff...

It is highly unlikely a dust explosion, even of TNT dust, would set off the entire dump. One of the
attributes of TNT is that it is so stable that a single shell fired into a dump of similar shells
will not cause a dump event. This is for TNT loaded projectiles only. All bets are off if there
were primers present as with fully loaded fixed artillery munitions.

Bob (don't include me any of the tests, however) Swinney
"TwoGuns" wrote in message
On May 21, 7:42 pm, " wrote:
On May 21, 6:20 pm, TwoGuns wrote:

We all walked off because we knew it was dangerous
to continue unloading those plastic bags. Eleven million pounds of TNT
from that shipment was returned to DuPont to be repackaged. During a
follow up by the Union it was said that this 11 million pounds had
been rejected by another arsenal because of the spark hazard. Instead
of repacking then someone in the food chain decided to send it to us
because they thought our Union people would cave in. A perfect example
of just how stupid decisions are made by management all the time.

DL

Does make one wonder how shipping 11 million lbs back to Du Pont and
having Du Pont unpackage and repackage the TNT, and then reship back
to Nebraska to be unpackaged again is safer than just unpackaging the
TNT once.

Dan

If we would have unpacked and used the TNT on the production site
there was about 100,000 pounds of TNT in that one small building. The
big danger in our location was dust. Think a grain dust explosion
multiplied about 1,000 times with TNT dust. By shipping it off to
another location it could have been repacked in more isolated location
with smaller amounts of explosives nearby. Hell they probably just
burned it anyway. Thatwas safer and probably cheaper.

DL