Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default LA boycotts Arizona

"Ignoramus28763" wrote in message
On 2010-05-21, Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Ignoramus28763" wrote in message
On 2010-05-21, chaniarts wrote:

in az, possession of a drivers license is evidence of legal residency

in
the

Not quite so.

Actually the Arizona law says "A valid Arizona driver license."

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....ls/hb2162c.htm

So, if I am driving through Arizona, with another state's driver's
license, and that state does not verify immigration status, and I
speak with accent, they would be justified in detaining me.

I read the law a little bit and it seems outright weird.

You didn't read quite far enough:

?11-1051[b] For any lawful contact stop, detention or arrest made by a

law
enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law
enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town

or
other political subdivision of this state in the enforcement of any

other
law or ordinance of a county, city or town or this state where

reasonable
suspicion exists that the person is an alien who and is unlawfully

present
in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when

practicable,
to determine the immigration status of the person, except if the
determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation. If the entity
requires proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance,

any
valid United States federal, state or local government issued
identification....*A person is presumed to not be an alien who is

unlawfully
present in the United States if the person provides to the law

enforcement
officer or agency any of the following:*

1. A valid Arizona driver license.

2. A valid Arizona nonoperating identification license.

3. A valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal

identification.

4. * If the entity requires proof of legal presence in the United States
before issuance, any valid United States federal, state or local

government
issued identification.*

Which is EXACTLY as I said.

Look specifically at this:

* If the entity requires proof of legal presence in the United States
before issuance, *any valid*..., state [Illinois seems to qualify] ...*
issued identification.* [your IL DL]

The AZ driver's license is only *one* of the documents that establish the
presumption of lawful status..

AZ gains nothing by jacking up legal residents, visitors, and citizens, they
do not even attempt to do so.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.