Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default TIG

Winston wrote:

On 5/21/2010 2:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I will recommend again to all: Get the $5 or so set of welding
"calculators" from Miller. These are cardboard slide-chart things for
MIG, TIG and stick that help you find starting parameters for any given
weld and are very useful.

Second that motion. It is reassuring to start out with all
the right settings.

Also, investigate 'gas lens' cups to lower your argon costs.

The folks at Airgas who got me setup when I started welding started me
with the gas lens cups and collet bodies. Guess they weren't too
concerned with selling more argon.

Also, please consider the 'flex' torch with 'superflex'
cable from CK.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/ck17f.htm

Doubtless there are other torches that are as good but
I've been very happy with my CK17.

--Winston

I've got an ESAB HW-18 which has been fine for everything I've asked it.
The water cooled torches are nice.