Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Speaking of reloading stuff...

On May 21, 12:15*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --I've been trying for ages to get my .177 cal mortar to shoot a
pellet more than a foot. I'm using FFG which is the finest powder available
locally. What I need, I think, is the stuff that's normally packed into
firecrackers. Now' I've toyed with the idea of making a brass mortar and
pestel to grind the FFG powder into something finer but I thot I'd better
ask here B4 becoming a candidate for a Darwin Award.
* * * * --Any useful advice appreciated!

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Come see my stuff *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *at Maker Faire!!

Trying to get flash powder to propel any sort of a projectile is a
good way to end up missing bits of yourself, or ending up with holes
and metallic attachments where you don't want them. I've used primers
to propel lead air rifle pellets in regular firearms, THAT works.
Unfortunately, primer costs have risen to the point where it's kind of
silly to do so. An air rifle works sooo much better for that sort of
thing.

FFFFg is what you want, you might be able to convert some of your
coarser stuff by sandwiching a smidge between two sheets of paper and
running a cylindrical glass bottle over it. Don't be surprised if an
air rifle pellet doesn't work too well, they have a tendancy to blow
out at the heads. A round ball works better. .177 round balls CAN be
had, too.

Here's Pedersoli's take on what you want to do:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

But again, you can buy an airgun a whole lot cheaper and it'll even
have better ballistics than that.

Stan