Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

Well it is no problem if there is just *one* and it is only on for one hour.
But there are hundreds of these little lights around a home and they are on
24 hours a day 365 days a year...

As with everything else when being frugal, things add up! Learn to add.

These little power on lights are in everything these days. Try to find a
power strip without any lights in it. GFCI outlets have little lights in
them now. Everything has little lights.

I know electronics and electrical wiring, so I was able to disconnect all of
these lights around my home (the green light in a GFCI was the straw - I
said Enough!). With the GFCI's, I rewired my house so these outlets are now
on 20 amp switches. They are off when not in use.

A good example are outside outlets which are GFCI. Maybe used once or twice
a year in my case, but the GFCI for that is always on and using a little
electricity.

My electric bill went down $2.50 a month after doing this. (GFCI's also
always use electricity even if they don't have any lights.)

That is a $30 a year savings. I need that money a lot more than my electric
company does.

My neighbors on the other hand (who can't add), buy things everyday which
cost $1 or $2. They say it is just $1. And they do this several times a day.
Buy soda pop, coffee at the stand (it is just $2.50), etc.

Then by the end of the month, they are a couple of hundred dollars short and
don't have enough for their bills.

Learn to add. Little things add up...

Note: I don't suggest that people go out an hire an electrician to modify
their existing wiring, that would be silly. I can do these things for almost
nothing, so that is a different situation. But if you are rewiring your
kitchen for example, place a couple of extra switches next to the light
switch - have those switches turn off the counter top outlets. This will
remove power to the GFCI's and to parasitic loads (like appliances which
always use electricity). Just flip several switches and everything is off in
the kitchen!

On parasitic loads...
Leaking Electricity: Individual Field Measurement of Consumer Electronics -
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
http://enduse.lbl.gov/info/ACEEE-Leaking.pdf