Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
chaniarts chaniarts is offline

Default LA boycotts Arizona

Ignoramus15573 wrote:
I am a naturalized US citizen. My "immigration paper" is my US
passport. For those born here, the birth certificate is their
"immigration paper". Anyway, I do not see many people who travel or
walk around with passports or birth certificates.

Here's my question. Let's say that I am traveling through Arizona and
am stopped by the police for any reason. They would quickly figure
out, from my accent, that I should be suspected of being an illegal
immigrant. I usually wear cheap clothes, because I do not care, so I
do not look wealthy. My wife speaks with accent too and looks somewhat
Mexican.

Then they would have to haul me (or us) to jail and keep us there,
until somehow we produce our "papers". I do not even know how we
would get them out of our house, if the house is in IL and we are
arrested in
AZ.

Somehow that seems overreaching.

What will really happen, of course, is that police will have leverage
over people with accent, as any one of them may be now jailed over a
"suspicion".

I recall how I was stopped by a police because they alleged that my
trailer with the Bridgeport Interact mill exceeded my licensed
capacity. I was able to argue with them and proved, on the spot, that
they were wrong. They let me go. It was a big luck moment.

I am thinking, that if they really wanted to rip me off, with this law
on the books, they would just threaten me with jail over a sudden
"suspicion" about my immigration status. If that happened not in my
state of residence, or especially if I had kids with me, I would have
no choice by to agree.

no. you should actually read the law instead of getting your information
from the media.

in az, possession of a drivers license is evidence of legal residency in the
US. that cop is going to look at your drivers license and send you on the
way. of course, he would have had to have had a reason for stopping you in
the first place that he will have to take care of first, or he could get
sued (again, read the law).