Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith Richard Smith is offline

Default TIG

ignator writes:

On May 21, 9:43*am, stryped wrote:
I have a Bobcat 225 welder I just aquired. I have always want to learn
to tig. What is the minimum I need to buy to practice tig with this
machine?

Thanks!

If you are good at oxy-acetalene welding, you will be good at any
other kind of welding.
Assuming you have the tungsten electrode, and ceramic cups, and argon
gas, you then only need some clean scrap and filler rod. It's very
much the same process as gas welding (not brazing).
ignator

In addition to above...

TIG to me seems like - well, coming from oxy-acetylene - TIG in the
early stages like trying to learn to drive a car without instruction
where the car will readily do 1300MPH and no-one has told you you
should be doing around 30MPH - 40MPH. You get "cinders", you see red
smoke condensed everywhere - and to an onlooker you see sparks jumping
out. Getting cool small welds you need to be right at the bottom end
of the range.

A good way of learning to to try to weld at the MINIMUM current you
can just get a weld-pool. If using a foot-pedal, make it so that you
max. the foot-pedal and control on the machine Amps setting. For me
at first I simply did not have the skill and mental processing power
for all the variables at once.

As experience builds you can work your way upwards with current and
get quicker - well that's what I'm told because I never got to that
stage! I was on small cool welds and it did what I needed.

Rich Smith