Lew Hodgett

Default Any tips for patching a knot hole in a fence?

"Carmella" writes:

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

If you are serious and this isn't a troll, it is a very simple fix using
some epoxy thickened with microballoons and cab-o-sil.

Take a piece of scrap wood slightly larger than the knot hole, say a piece
of cdx plywood, covered with some clear shipping tape and temporarily cover
the back side of the hole attaching with some screws. (Epoxy doesn't stick
to the shipping tape).

Mix some epoxy, then thicken with microballoons and a little cab-o-sil to
thicken enough so it will hang on a vertical surface, then butter the hole
shut.

A couple of days later, remove scrap of wood, sand both sides flush and
paint if required.

When that fence has turned to compost, those epoxy plugs will still be
there.

HTH

SFWIW, I have spliced a lot of plywood sheets together using the above
technique and then covering the joint with some fiberglass.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures