Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an unfinished
basement (for a washing machine). The wiring going to the outlet will
be 12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and
metal conduit. But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do it
using plastic/PVC instead of metal. I am thinking of using this type of
PVC box:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1 ,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through 1/2-inch
PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or adapter
that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM enters the
PVC conduit?"

If so, is that type of fitting shown anywhere in this product brochure?:

http://www.kraloyfittings.com/downlo...loy%20ftgs.pdf

*I do not know of a fitting or combination of fittings that will be in
compliance for sleeving Romex through PVC. You need to have a connector
on the end of the PVC and the only way that I can think to accomplish
this is using a PVC female adaptor and a two screw metal squeeze
connector. However by code the metal connector must be grounded. If you
want conduit, use 1/2" EMT with a changeover connector on the end. A
four inch metal square box for the outlet will be cheaper than that
plastic one at Grainger. Home Depot sells EMT offset connectors for
going into the box.

I'm not sure why you need to sleeve the wire down the wall. You could
just mount a 1"x4" piece of wood down the wall and staple the wire to it
as well as screw the box to it.

Thanks. I think the code now says that the wire running down the wall
needs to be protected and that the old way of stapling the NM to a 1x4 on
the wall is no longer considered acceptable. But I don't know that for
sure -- it's just something I think I picked up somewhere along the way.

I do know that I could do the whole thing using metal as you suggested,
and I may end up doing that. But I would like to be able to use PVC if I
can do it that way. I have a hunch that the PVC conduit and fittings are
not made to do what I want to do and instead are made for continuous
end-to-end waterproof conduit etc.

*The conduit sleeve is not required unless you anticipate possible physical
damage to the wire if it is not protected. You can use the PVC and a metal
box together. You just ground the box. If you have a code book read
article 334.15.