Posted to alt.home.repair
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Wierd stain on new driveway

On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:56:43 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Prof Wonmug wrote:
Noticeing that the stain doesn't occur below the hedge, it is pretty clear that
the stain is something dropping from the tree. Aphid dew, other bug waste, or
pollen?

That's what I think. A local arborist (by phone) ruled out aphids and
he said pollen was unlikely.

Could be some sap type substance from the tree.

Someone mentioned tannins, which I hadn't heard of.

At this point, I am more interested in how to remove it.

Start with something like dish soap and water.

I tried that with little effect. Since the arborist said it would be
mold, I tried a shower mold cleaner (Tilex). Bye bye stain. It was a
little work scrubbing, but the stain is completely gone.

Here are a few photos:

http://tinypic.com/r/fogldw/6

http://tinypic.com/r/33arwb7/6

http://tinypic.com/r/30w15yd/6

Someone asked to see the tree, so here they a

http://tinypic.com/r/v5g277/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2vbrdkp/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2cyjqxv/6

I'll tell you, that's a damn nice driveway,

Thanks. When the boss first suggested pavers, I didn't like them at
all. Quite a few houses in this area have driveways that I considered
"too busy" (bricks, concrete with brick borders, and pavers). I voted
for replacing the asphalt or plain concrete or maybe exposed
aggregate. As usual, my vote had little effect and we got pavers.

Now, after a month or so, I'm starting to like them more. I can't say
anything, of course, or I'll get "I told you so for years". ;-)

The only drawback until this stain was the unholy racket hard plastic
wheels on the garbage bins make when I drag them out to the curb.

I'd be beating my brains out looking for a cure also. Good Luck.

Cure found, but I sure hope I don't have to do it very often.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.