Posted to sci.electronics.repair
saber850 saber850 is offline

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On May 20, 10:54*pm, saber850 wrote:
On May 16, 10:42*am, wrote:

On May 16, 8:22*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article
s.com, saber850 writes

Fortunately, I ordered 2x the caps a couple days ago. *So hopefully
the problem is in fact the caps and I'll have both fixed soon.

It'd be interesting to hear how you got on.

--
(\__/) *
(='.'=) *Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Absolutely! *I intend on posting back with my next steps.

At this point, I'm still waiting for the parts (currently expected to
arrive tomorrow). *I'll say I'm not thrilled to have paid $8 to ship
a 0.4lb package which takes 5 business days to arrive. *Perhaps I'm
spoiled by NewEgg's ship time & prices.

Fortunately, my monitors seem to be playing tag-team on functioning
correctly, so I can still function at this point.

I just completed soldering all the new caps to one of the boards! *For
desoldering, I found it easier to simply heat each lead and gently
pull the cap out. *The braided copper didn't really help, perhaps
because the pins are so small.

The good news is that the monitor functions fine (I thought I may have
messed up one of the caps). *The unfortunate news is that only time
will tell if the problem is really solved.

I will post back with the status after a couple days. *If all goes
well, I'll repeat the procedure on the other board.

Thank you all for your help thus far!

Bad news: the monitor w/ the new caps exhibited the same problem when
I first powered it on this morning. Ugh...