Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:52:33 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2010 18:45:52 -0400, Wes
wrote:

I'm going to get a BXA in a wedge soon. I happen to have some aloris and Yuasa holders
that were part of the lathe deal. The seller didn't realize they didn't fit.

Wes,

I have an Armstrong piston-type BXA that I'm not attached to if you
don't have your heart set on a wedge type post. It seems to be a cut
above the imports. I compared it to an Aloris on my 10EE before I sold
it and didn't notice any real difference. The guy who bought the lathe
wanted the Aloris BXA, so that's gone.

I have my heart set on a wedge. The design of a wedge looks more secure to me.

A screw driving a wedge. I like the looks of that.

My next buy is going to be a new computer in the near future since I'm sure the next
upgrade to Alibre isn't going to run on my w2k box. I upgraded my license so I have
motion now. Kinda slow on my current machine.

I'm in the same boat. The switch from Inventor to Solidworks has put a
strain on this box.

I am figuring the tool post to be a end of year purchase unless I work a lot of OT which I
try not to.

You had a 10EE and sold it? What did you replace it with? The guy I bought my Clausing
from was really into Monarch lathes. Seriously nice lathes.

A Taiwanese Feeler HLVH clone.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Feeler05.JPG

Not long after I finished fixing up the 10EE the Feeler fell into my
lap. They were too close in capability to give up the space for both.
I'd love to have a big Monarch, American Pacemaker, or Okuma, but
there's just no room.

--
Ned Simmons