Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Videos of US Navy vintage analog fire control computers

pyotr filipivich on Thu, 20 May 2010 13:07:30
toolbreaker on Thu, 20 May 2010 08:48:10 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On May 20, 6:29*am, mac wrote:
On May 19, 7:01*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Cool!

When I saw "analog", I thought electrical analog, i.e., op amps. *But
this is _mechanical_. *Levers & gears & cams! *Solving problems with
"... up to 26 variables ..."!!! *Continuously. *Yow!

Bob

Thanks for the post; I served my Machinist apprentice at the Frankford
Arsenal in Philadelphia, 1955 to 1959. I worked as a machine operator
prior to being drafted to the Korean war. (in the army Signal corp., I
was train as a field radio repairman, but I digress) I returned and
entered the apprenticeship program. As a class project the class ahead
of mine built a complete artillery fire control unit with the all of
the gears, cams and slides as I see in the video. I am sure that it
was still classified so we didn't get to really understand its
functions.
The Fire control section of the Arsenal was for the most part had
limited access. But as machinist, we sometime had to use equipment and
did visit some of the areas.

My Dad was a Navy Fire Control Tech during WWII. He has told me
about the mechanical analog computers used to solve the ballistic
differential equation. They used spinning platters and rubber wheels
for integrators. The early twentieth century was the golden age of
mechanical design not sure we have the experience to design something
like that now days. Now it can be done with a 25 cent
microcontroller.

The biggest problem is going to remain "What is it we are trying
to calculate?" And "how do we do that?" After that, the rest is
just 'engineering' and 'metalworking.

Those first two questions are fundamental to any project - be
it making a mechanical computer, or designing a software program.
"Data + Structures = Program".

Oops, that should read "Data + Algorithms = Programs"

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!