Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman[_2_] Leo Lichtman[_2_] is offline

Default Glue-up question for lathe work

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
leo - I restore cars, as you know from my web page, but clearly Ivan is
looking for a "custom" look rather than a "new from the factory" look. We
all know that reproductions of many of these handles are widely available
(of course for MY pink Cadillac, almost nothing in that color is
available, but then again, what would you expect....).

Also, as something of a restoration purist - putting on an incorrect gear
shift knob is harmless, you can always remove it and put a stock knob back
on - on the other hand, taking a nice condition cream puff and doing a
chop/channel job turns a collector car into a custom rod with no path of
return. (clip) So, my bias is, customize the unrestorable and restore the
good ones.

Bill. I fully understand and agree with your "bias." However, my suggestion
was based on the OP's original question, which seemed to indicate that he
was hoping for a simple way of producing an attractive spiral patterned
knob, i.e., layering and turning on the bias. Since that isn't going to
work, it seems to me that a knob turned out of a single piece would solve
the problem most directly. A knob turned out of wood with an attractive
grain would add a little sparkle without being "over the top."