Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clear, durable finish for redwood?

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:53:32 -0700, Winston
wrote the following:

Hi all.

I just finished installing the fence gate that I mentioned
about a month ago. SWMBO informed me that she likes the
redwood grain appearance so I would like your advice on a fast
inexpensive, great looking coating to preserve the look of
the wood. This is out in the "weather" (1) 24 x 7 so durability
is most important.

Aw, just Penofin that puppy. It's semi-transparent and slows greying
considerably. I haven't used it but have seen it on several projects
to good effect. They like the Red Label the best. Nobody I know has
tried the Verde (Spanish for "green") eco-safe no-voc version.
"Clear" is the least offensive color, IMnsHO.

Ferret out your best local price. It's spendy, but everything which
works is nowadays. (As are many things which don't, like our
CONgress.)

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.