Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Where to run the wire....

On 5/20/2010 7:31 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

*What I usually do when there is limited attic access is cut a hole
in the wall (Using my 45 degree cut technique) close to the ceiling
and drill up into the attic. The hole in the wall should be big
enough so that your drill will fit inside so you can at least drill
straight and not angled towards the outside. I push a fishtape up
several feet into the attic. I then go up in the attic with a
fiberglass rod with a hook on it and grab the fishtape. I pull the
wire down from the attic.
Fiberglass rods go through insulated walls better than a fishtape. However
you will need to cut a hole and drill through that fire block
so a fishtape might suffice.

Use 12/2 for the A/C line. I would cut in a separate box for the A/C
and leave the existing boxes and wiring alone.

You know, I've done the drill access at the footer before, but somehow I
didn't carry the idea over to the header. Thanks!

Jon

I'd just plug it into the existing outlet and be done. You stated in
the original message it was only 8a. Even on a 15a circuit, this still
leaves plenty for the 'couple o' lights' and the other outlets. Unless
it's a microwave plugged into the other outlets, you will never know the
difference.

--
Steve Barker