Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Import BXA toolpost experience

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I would suggest that you make the initial step by buying the
Phase-II wedge style Series 200 (BXA sized) toolpost, and a few of the
corresponding holders (plan on replacing the setscrews which hold the
tools), and keep waiting for luck with genuine Aloris. This will let
you buy genuine Aloris holders as you find them, and use them with the
Phase-II toolpost until you get the Genuine Aloris or perhaps (as I did)
the Dorian. With the Dorian, I suspect that I will not keep looking for
a genuine Aloris toolpost. The Dorian is at least equal quality, if a
somewhat different (but just as good) locking system as the wedge style
Aloris. Both are *vastly* better than the piston style posts in my
opinion.

I'm going to get a BXA in a wedge soon. I happen to have some aloris and Yuasa holders
that were part of the lathe deal. The seller didn't realize they didn't fit.

The Phase II sounds like a good bet. If it doesn't measure up, I send it back until I get
a good one.

Darn unexpected expenses are killing me at the moment. Having had a long term job fall
out from under me once (bankruptcy), I'm very leary of dipping into savings for something
non-essential. One time experiencing a job loss in a bad economy (2001) in a state that
has not been doing well was enough for me. My idea of cash reserves moved up 2X after
that one and I rode out 8 months of no decent work.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller