Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On May 19, 8:18 am, "h" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

ny...

"h" wrote in message

I like a width of 7 feet. Allows clothes to be hung on each side with a
3
foot walkway. If I went wider I would jump to 12 feet with two aisles
and
hangers down the center as well. 14 foot would allow for two wide down
the center. My current closet is 7X12. Plenty large in my single days.
Starting to feel a little cramped with a woman using it too. I call them
dressing rooms and include chairs, mirrors and built in cupboards. With
everything in the closest the bedroom can be a modest size.

LOL. As the female half of the couple who will be using the closet, I can
tell you that DH has more clothes, is much more appearance-obsessed, and
takes up a lot more space! I just want a rack on each side with shelves
above and about 3' of floor-to-ceiling shelving on the far wall between
the
two racks. Sounds like my "too-small-closet" will work just fine.

Thanks for the comments!

You're not putting in a bathroom? Personally I'd take an end off your
original retangle and divide it between a walk in closet and a bath.
And I'd also plan a stackable washer/dryer hookup in the closet. The
laundry hookup is probably more personal preference but once you have
a laundry closer to where you remove and put on your clothes you'll
never go back :-) As to the bath, I can't imagine having to go
downstairs to use a bathroom.

We already have a full bath upstairs in the origanal section of the house.
The one-story living room was added in the early-1900s. We'll be adding on a
much larger two-story addition in 2012 which will have a small,
separate-entrance office/client area with a half bath, and a 24x40 garage
down, with a master bath, commercial washer and dryer, and an enormous
industrial workspace upstairs.

By the time both construction projects are completed we'll have more than
doubled the size of the house and my workspace can move from the garage into
the house, where I'll have plumbing and real heat! I'm so sick of running
down the stairs and across the deck and into the house every time I need the
bathroom. In the winter I have to shovel my way to and from. I'm SO not
going to miss that! Also, having a separate office for clients means that I
won't have to make sure the entire downstairs is pristine in case they have
to use the bathroom.

We're doing it in two stages because the existing detached garage will need
to be knocked down for the new addition, and I wouldn't have any place to
work for at least a month, plus no place to store my equipment. Once the new
master bedroom is built I'll move my work space in there for 18 months until
we move to stage two.