Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining error

On Wed, 19 May 2010 00:20:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote the following:

I have never had any luck at all removing stain. Toning it, glazing
it, aging it, sure. Removing it... nope.

I think he just wants to lighten it, but we all know what lightened
stain looks like. That's right, RBS Lite!

It sounds like the attempt with the Minwax product could be as good a
try as anything. Before I tried it, I would call the tech help line
of the stain manufacturer and ask for any suggestions.

I hadn't actually heard of a wood stain remover and was unable to find
a product like that on the net. In looking around, there were lots of
products to remove stains on wood like oxalic acid, or other light
acids with surfactants and detergents.

I got rid of a lot of the RBS on Mom's old dining set (oak ply which
had been limed at one time and later covered with a deep, dark stain.
Working in a very well ventilated garage, with the door open, I
scrubbed every inch with lacquer thinner, wiping as I went, letting
the excess flow down to the area I'd clean next. It took hours, but I
got about 75% of the pigment out of the pores and 90% off the surface
of the wood. She was thrilled with the result while I gagged, but it
was her table, eh? I wasn't fond of the still-too-dramatic face/pore
contrast.

Are you sure you found a product that says it will remove applied wood
stain from wood?

Knowing Minwhacked, it's likely an oxalic acid mix sportin' a 4x price
tag.

I also noticed that you said the wood in question was pine. And to
compound things, being a six panel door, there will be stain in every
crevice, crack, joint, etc., and if the stain was applied to bare
wood, I don't think you will have much luck removing it.

Given that he thought it was too dark, he may be in luck...if he likes
contrast.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.