Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a HARDER to operate Digital Lamp Timer than theIntermatic DT500CL

On May 19, 8:21*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/19/2010 7:35 AM, wrote:

On May 19, 7:08 am, *wrote:
On May 18, 9:28 pm, "D. Ohl"d...@Use-Author-Supplied-

Address.invalid *wrote:
Can there possibly be a harder to operate lamp timer than the Intermatic
DT500CL?

I'm so sorry I bought it!

I got one of those maybe 10 years ago, im glad I lost it 10 years ago.

I tossed the electronic timers they are a PIA.

My mechanical ones are very reliable. and dont depend on filament
current to operate.

I don't know what filament current is,
but mechanical timers, of course, do
need motor current. *BTW, I gave up on
mechanical timers years ago. *Even the
expensive, wall mounted, wired in units
would break down. *It was usually the
motor/clock gears. *I am now using an
X10 widget (1132CU) that you program
with your computer. *It handles power
failures well and compensates for
sunrise/sunset changes. *It does,
however, come with its own set of
problems, but for the most part, it works.- Hide quoted text -

I was recently looking at swimming pool controlers. One company has
one that is supposed to run a pool, spa, waterfalls, lights,
conventional heaters, and solar heaters. It has a small LCD display
and about 8 buttons, only two of them are marked and those are for
temp. No specific button for even turning on the pump. All those
functions are done through the LCD display and cryptic buttons like
Aux1, Aux2, Menu, etc.

If I was in marketing or product planning and anyone brought me one of
those, I'd throw them out of my office. At least with the mechanical
wheel type it's obvious how to turn on the pool pump, which is the
most basic thing you want to do.