Posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.rec.audio.vinyl,sci.electronics.repair
Roger Thorpe[_3_] Roger Thorpe[_3_] is offline

Default Rega RB300 turntable...

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Many turntables have a line resistor. It "does something" (that I don't
understand) to improve speed stability. Or torque. Or something. It's not to
reduce the line voltage.

It's a while since I looked, and I could be wrong but:
The Rega planar motor is a pair of multi pole two phase synchronous
pancake motors sandwiched together with the poles interleaved.
The resistor and capacitor are there to change the phase (lag or lead?)
of one motor so that the assemlby turns in the right direction when it
is started.
Incidentally mine is a Rega 2 and the resistor burnt out too. A day
after a short friendly 'phone conversation with the company the postman
handed me an envelope containing a new resistor (with a higher power
rating).
--
Roger Thorpe

....Wait a minute, It's stopped raining/
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.....